276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Japanese Whispers

£3.495£6.99Clearance
ZTS2023's avatar
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023
82
63

About this deal

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.

The Cure - Japanese Whispers | Steve Hoffman Music Forums The Cure - Japanese Whispers | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Japanese Whispers - Fiction 817 470-2 (blue picture label CD made in West Germany) As someone mentions above, rather thin & tinny sounding in places pretty much sums it up. The Cure’s third compilation album Japanese Whispers will be released as a picture disc for the first time and be available on March 26. APB Music Co. Ltd. all rights for U.S. & Canada on behalf of APB Music Co. Ltd. (PRS) Adm. by WB Music Corp. ASCAP JesusChris - Fair enough, i get what you mean - this record has sentimental value to you, so that's why you're so fond, i dig. P.S. Your mum has good taste in music! Robert Smith explained what inspired the significant change in the band’s sound from the ‘completely unlistenable’ Pornography to the quirky pop singles found on Japanese Whispers:I suggested that we were going to do something that’s kind of like a Disney take on jazz, based around the Aristocats. And suddenly everything we did started to sell.” The following year, two additional (and even more successful, as it turned out) poppy singles were made available to the public - a grateful public, it seemed, with ‘The Walk’ reaching #12, and ‘The Lovecats’ faring even better, hitting an impressive #7 position in 1983 on the reformed-goths home turf. The singles marked a change of direction in The Cure’s sound, so it’s convenient then, that fans were offered an opportunity to collect the aforementioned singles (and their respective b-sides) in one, neat bundle entitled ‘Japanese Whispers’, to investigate this unassumingly important chapter in the bands eclectic catalogue. I have the WG, FR, and US (Sire) editions of this CD and I think the Sire is the best of the bunch. Charts.nz – The Cure – Japanese Whispers: The Cure Singles Nov 82: Nov 83". Hung Medien. Retrieved 3 July 2023.

The Cure – Japanese Whispers (1983, Cassette) - Discogs The Cure – Japanese Whispers (1983, Cassette) - Discogs

Smith told Rolling Stone with a laugh that after spending time recovering at his parents' house after touring in support Pornography, he ‘decided to be a pop star’: After the band had imploded (and dropped down to only two permanent members) from their increasingly depressing albums Seventeen Seconds, Faith and Pornography, upbeat pop songs like “Let’s Go To Bed”, “The Walk” and “The Lovecats” reinvented the band from gloomy doomsters to pop sensations seemingly overnight. On its original release, Japanese Whispers charted in the UK Album charts on December 24 in 1983, and was the first album by the band to enter the Billboard 200 in the US in early 1984. Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992: 23 years of hit singles & albums from the top 100 charts. St Ives, N.S.W, Australia: Australian Chart Book. p.79. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.In a 2004 interview with Rolling Stone, Smith detailed what contributed to the shift in style. “I didn’t want that side of life anymore; I wanted to do something that’s really kind of cheerful. I thought, “This isn’t going to work. No one’s ever gonna buy into this. It’s so ludicrous that I’m gonna go from a goth idol to a pop star in three easy lessons. I would recommend the US Sire CD for Japanese Whispers and steer clear of the WG in this case. But the Sire is nothing special.

The Cure – The Walk Lyrics | Genius Lyrics The Cure – The Walk Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

This new direction would earn the band their first two top 20 hits in both the UK and Ireland. Japanese Whispers would also be the band’s first album to chart in the US. The best thing about the Japanese pressing is the lyric sheet insert. The label seems to have had some poor soul transcribe it from scratch. Hilarity ensues. It's at least 50% accurate and 85% complete. The remaining 15% is just lines of frustrated question marks. But the parts that they got wrong are worth the price of admission.Offiziellecharts.de – The Cure – Japanese Whispers: The Cure Singles Nov 82: Nov 83" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 3 July 2023.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment